Today I had to go to the Anchorage Museum's library and archives to check some sources and do a little research of my own. It was my first time in a real archive setting. I had to check my bag, my jacket and my pen in a locker and they had to search my notebook before I could start doing research.
The facilities were super spiffy and obviously have a huge amount of funding. They had ergonomically chairs and marble-ish desks and these lights that looked like light sabers. They also had book shelves that slid automatically on this little track. You just found the row you needed and then pressed the arrow in the direction you wanted the shelves to slide and the entire thing would shift as a unit and your shelf would open up for you. Maybe you guys have seen this before , but it was my first experience and I was pretty impressed.
But what really struck me about this place was how hard I got hit on for being a history nerd. The librarian working at the desk was probably about 25 and looked like a librarian. What I am trying to say is, she was pretty enough to star on the radio. All and all she was super helpful and walked me through everything I needed. But for the first time in my life I got hit on for being a research geek. If this is what academia is like, kill me now. I miss being 17 and learning being lame. Well I don't, but right then I did. It was scary and oddly uncomfortable.
So to all my history buffs out there, if you are feeling like a loser just hit up a research library or archives somewhere and you'll probably meet some nerdo who really digs you being a nerd.
Other than getting hit on in the archives my day was pretty boring. I am excited for basketball tomorrow night, Let's go Magic! And looking forward to the weekend so I can get on my bike and go exploring again. Until then I'm just relaxing in the perfect Anchorage weather and surviving the work week.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment