Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's a Lawless Game

Video of the day. This is the most anti-clamatic bull shizz I have ever seen.


For those of you that aren't in the know this is the infamous video of Xavier University sophomore Jordan Crawford dunking over Lebron James at James' basketball camp. This is only even remotely significant because Lebron had some of the videos of this dunk confiscated, but he doesn't even really get dunked on. I was expecting the Danny Green on Greg Paulus treatment, but no it's boring and Lebron only made it noteworthy by freaking out about it and having Nike steal the videotapes. And that's my rant.

And here's my news.

Sarah Palin back in the headlines today as allegations that she has set up a trust that violates Alaska sate law. The trust is called Alaska Fund Trust and it essentially gets citizens to donate money to pay Palin's legal fees. I won't get into the nitty gritty details, read the link. But the trust violates ethics laws because 1. she is using her position for personal gain and 2. because it violates the state's gift rules. Her argument is that plenty of other politicians including Clinton and good ol' Newt Gingrich have had similar trusts, which it totally true. But those two fine gentlemen were not Alaskans, in the the Great North what she is doing is illegal where as in Washington it is a relatively legit practice. If Troopergate hadn't cost Sarah $600k maybe she would be less inclined to raise money to pay her legal fees. These ethics complaints basically drove Sarah out of the office, good thing she only has 5 days left before she gets outta dodge.

In other news Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman at Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. Not enough evidence to say either way, but here is what I did notice. ESPN is staying clear of this one. They jumped on the Kobe Bryant case, hell they basically sent Shelley Smith to Eagle County, Colorado for a month or more, and every time Adam 'Pacman' Jones does anything they report about it to no end. So maybe they are trying not to publicize this for both the woman and Roethlisberger's sake, but I think it's more than that. Actually I am a little disgusted with myself for this theory, but at this point I totally believe it. If Ben wasn't white the media would be tearing him apart just like they did to Kobe, but since he is a white dude from middle America the media is leaving him alone to some extent. Maybe media coverage will increase in the coming days, because it is summer and sports news is slow this time of year, but right now the white boy treatment is really saving Ben. And when I say media I am particularly singling out ESPN because this was not a front page news story for most of the day yesterday or today, where as Jamal Maglore's new contract and former NBA guard Antonio Burks getting shot were. Who are they you ask? Exactly.

In other basketball news, the Blazers have done pretty much nothing this summer and lots of people are complaining. I on the other hand am totally happy. The Blazer's won 54 games last year as a very young team making an addition just for the hell of it and because we've got $8 mil to spend doesn't seem smart. If the right deal were there, which right now it isn't as far as I have read, go for it. But staying put with the roster we have no in tact would not be a bad thing. Just gotta resign Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in the coming months and I will be happy.

Final news story of the day is that the Taco bell chihuahua died today at the age of 15. Yo quiero celebrity funeral MJ stlye and a national free taco day every July 23 for the rest of my life.

This was a poor excuse for a post, but I'm tired. I will come up with something with a bit more substance or at least a bit more sardonic humor. Good night, moon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Mike,
    Thanks so much for your continuing perspectives on all things Ak. & sports. I look forward to hearing what's on your plate this week. Tomorrow I dive in to designing 8' x 10' frames in gold leaf for David Lynch's insanely bizarre paintings for a show in September. They will each weigh @ 100 pounds all out......so tell me a story.....

    ReplyDelete